Phone Free Zone: Pledge your support
Driving? Don’t use your phone! Support Daybreak's national campaign to stop using mobile phones while driving and help save lives.
You can support our campaign by making a pledge to make your car a Phone Free Zone. All you have to do is click on the button above to join the campaign!
An exclusive Daybreak/One Poll survey has revealed that 1 in 4 drivers have been distracted from driving safely because of their mobile phone, with 1 in 10 admitting that they have had an accident or damaged their car. Research has shown that drivers are four times more likely to have an accident while on the phone in a moving car as reaction times are 50 per cent slower. Even with a hands free kit, reaction times can be up to 20 per cent slower.
Daybreak wants to stop drivers using their phones while driving and save lives.
Daybreak is giving away 50,000 free rear window stickers to drivers who want to show their support for the campaign. You can collect your sticker from one of 500 participating Shell Stations across Great Britain from Monday 4th February to Friday 8th February 2013 - not using mobile phones whilst driving is one of Shell’s 12 life saving rules that all Shell employees and contractors must follow.
The Highway Code advises all drivers to turn off their mobile phone before making a journey. Daybreak supports this guidance as part of Phone Free Zone as do around half of police forces across the UK, road campaigning charities Brake and Roadpeace, and motoring organisation The AA.
Road Safety Minister, Stephen Hammond said: “Using a mobile phone whilst driving is incredibly dangerous and the vast majority of drivers know that if caught they could face a fine, penalty points and even prison in serious cases. I welcome Daybreak’s work to highlight the dangers of mobile phone use at the wheel and hope that it will make more people switch off their phones before they set off on a journey.”
Terms and conditions for Phone Free Zone:
* Stickers can only be obtained at participating Shell stores listed on this website
* Stickers can only be collected from the time of store opening on Monday 4th February through to closing time of store on Friday 8th February 2013. (With a 24 hour Shell station, stickers will be available from 0600 on Monday 4th February and up to 23.59 on Friday 8th February).
* Stickers are free - no purchase is necessary
* One window sticker per driver
* Stickers are only available while stocks last in store
* Full terms can be found at itv.com/terms