Magazine beauty freebies, low fee 0% card ending, Travelodge sale and two-week holidays for 16 and 17 year olds; these are our Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis’s Deals of the Week.
Remember, deals can change quickly, even while Martin's on the programme. So always double-check the terms and conditions before spending. Plus, while we hope these deals will save you cash, don’t spend if you can’t afford it, don’t need it, or won’t use it.
Web exclusive: Tesco 10p/litre off fuel with £60 grocery spend
Get a voucher for 10p/litre off fuel when you spend £60 on groceries at Tesco in-store (excluding Express stores) or online until 26 May. If you're spending more than £120 on groceries, split it into two transactions of at least £60 each to get more vouchers. Vouchers given in-store are valid for two weeks from issue, while online vouchers can be redeemed until 9 June.
Ending Friday! Shift debts to 21-month 0% LOW fee card
A balance transfer card repays debts on other cards for you, so you owe it instead at a cheap rate. As more of your repayment clears the debt, instead of just servicing interest, you save and are debt-free sooner! Yet to do this you need to pay a fee, so the holy grail is a long 0% card with a low fee.
And that’s exactly what’s ending at 2pm on Friday. Successful new applicants to Lloyds Platinum Balance Transfer card can shift debt at 0% for 21 months (17.9% representative APR after) and currently the fee is half its usual amount – so it’s 1.5% of the amount you transfer before 10 June – although it goes back to normal for those who sign up after 2pm tomorrow.
If you need longer, Barclaycard is 26 months at 0% (18.9% APR after) but it has a much bigger 3.5% transfer fee. If you can repay quicker, Halifax has a 15 month 0% card (17.9% APR after) with just a 1% fee. Yet always follow the golden rules:
- Clear or shift again before the 0% ends, or you pay the full APR.
- Pay at least the monthly minimum, or you'll lose special rates.
- Don't spend or withdraw cash on these, it isn't usually at the cheap rate.
For further information, see the useful links section.
Magazine beauty freebies
- Free Nails Inc varnish in £3.90 mag: Until 2 June, buy the June edition of InStyle magazine (£3.90, Zoe Saldana on the front) and you'll find a full size (10ml) varnish in the plastic cover on the front page. The varnish comes in pink, peach and red. Similar Nails Inc varnishes usually retail at £11 each, though these shades have been created especially for this promotion, so aren't available to buy.
- Free Benefit mascara in £4 mag: Until 4 June, buy June's edition of Elle magazine for £4 (Miley Cyrus on the cover) and you'll find a black, travel-size (4g) Benefit 'they're real' mascara on the front. The full-size mascara (8.5g) usually costs £19.50, so we've calculated this freebie to be worth £9.17.
- Free Avon make-up in £3.80 mag: Until 5 June buy the June edition of Marie Claire (£3.80, Gemma Arterton on the cover) and you'll find ONE of three full-size Avon freebies enclosed with the magazine. They are: Perfect Kiss lipstick (Smitten Red), usually £8.50, Supershock gel eyeliner (black), usually £6, Glimmerstickeyebrow pencil (dark brown), usually £6.
- National Citizen £50 holiday for 16/17 year-olds: A Government-backed scheme called the National Citizen Service has released thousands of places for 16 and 17-year-olds across England to go on a two-week residential course (exactly how long you’ll be away varies by provider). It includes activities like canoeing, climbing and hiking, followed by 30 hours of team projects to help their community, which usually takes place in the week after the teenagers get home. The cost is capped at £50 (some may get free places) and includes food, transport and equipment.
- Celeb cookbook flash sale: Starting at 8am and ending at midnight today, shop online at The Book People (delivery's £3.95), where you'll find bargain cookbooks, among other genres.
- Hotel room sale: Travelodge has released 350,000 summer sale rooms from £19-£21 for stays at most of its hotels outside London. It's valid on pre-pay, saver rate bookings (no cancellations allowed) for stays between 1 July and 30 September.
Meanwhile Premier Inn has 140,000 rooms left at £29 for stays at most of its hotels (except ones in London) from 26 May - 4 September. The sale ends when all the cheap rooms have sold.