Last-minute Valentine’s deals, the cheapest way to spend abroad, free coffee, face cream and 50% off Blackpool Pleasure Beach. These are Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis’ Deals of the Week.
Remember, deals can change quickly, even while I’m on the programme. So always double-check the terms and conditions before spending. Plus, while I hope these deals will save you cash, don’t spend if you can’t afford it, don’t need it, or won’t use it.
Cheapest way to spend abroad: Martin’s full step-by-step guide
Sainsbury’s £10 dine-in for two
Asda £10 dine-in for two
M&S £20 dine-in for two
Waitrose £20 dine-in for two
Wild Bean Cafe
Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Last minute Valentine’s Day deals
Cheap in-store roses: For super cheap it’s all about supermarkets, (though you may prefer to give your local florist a try too). Lidl’s cheapest with a dozen for £3, followed by Morrisons, Aldi, Tesco and Asda with a bouquet for £5. Co-op also has flowers for £5.
Free gift cheques: Get creative by making your own Valentine’s gift cheques. Promise your Valentine a (ahem) massage, breakfast in bed, or that you'll walk the dog for once instead of them.
Dine-in deals: Most of the big supermarkets have dine-in offers on where you usually get a starter, meal and dessert for two for a set cost.
Sainsbury: £10 for a main, dessert and bottle of wine.
Asda: £10 for a main, two sides and dessert.
Co-op: £10 for a main, side, dessert and wine.
Tesco: £15 for a side, main, dessert either wine, a soft drink or a box of chocolates.
M&S and Waitrose £20: starter, main, side, dessert, wine (or a soft drink at M&S) and a box of chocolates.
Pocket the cheapest way to spend abroad now
Every holiday season, people ask me what the cheapest way to spend abroad is. Yet that’s too late! The ultimate winner is grabbing a specialist cheap travel money credit card – but to do that you need to apply in advance, hence my counter-seasonal alert.
These cards smash bureau de change, or using debit cards, though the golden rule is to always set up a direct debit to repay IN FULL so there’s no interest.
It's all about the 'load'. Most plastic adds a hidden 3%ish 'load', so spend £100 worth of euros and your statement says £103. But a few cards are 'load-free' so you get unbeatable rates, smashing bureaux de change. These four cards are the Halifax Clarity, Saga (over-50s), Post Office, and for Nationwide customers only, its Select card. They also have relatively low cash withdrawal fees.
The Aqua card is also available for those with poor credit scores.
The golden rules with these cards:
1. ONLY do this if you will set up a direct debit to repay IN FULL each month to minimise interest. Otherwise, don’t touch a credit card for this.
2. With these cards (not others) spending's cheaper than ATM withdrawals.
3. For ATM withdrawals, making fewer, larger withdrawals is cheaper (but be safe).
- Free £2-ish Valentine’s coffee at BP garages: Get a completely free regular size coffee TODAY at over 300 participating Wild Bean Cafes at BP garages. Simply walk in to get the freebie while stocks last. There are 1,200 BP garages in total, but around 300 of these have a Wild Bean Café, of these only five aren’t participating. Call ahead and check before making a special journey.
- 50% off Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Get 50% off at Blackpool Pleasure Beach gate-price wristbands and beach passes for the weekends of 16/17 and 23/24 February. For example, adult wristbands usually cost £35 at the gate, but are £17.50 if you book online at the moment.
- ‘Free’ Elemental Herbology face cream: Buy The Sunday Telegraph on 17 February for £2 and take the voucher inside to your nearest Space NK store for a 30ml tube of Elemental Herbology Cell Plumping Facial Moisturiser (SPF 8), before 3 March. The full-size moisturiser (50ml) costs £42, so I’ve calculated that this one is worth around £25. There are 10,000 available in stores, 2,000 available online and it's one per customer, while stocks last – so go quick.
- Last-minute Valentine’s deals, the cheapest way to spend abroad, free coffee, face cream and 50% off Blackpool Pleasure Beach. These are Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis’ Deals of the Week.