Interior design tips from Clara Zita
Clara worked closely with DFS to give the set of ITV1’s flagship daytime programme This Morning a sofa makeover.
Sitting at the heart of the set and with over 3,750 guests interviewed on it every year, the sofa is the focal point for much of the show. But it’s not had a makeover for over three years*. Clara was keen to ensure that whilst the sofa should be modernised, it should also be specifically designed to give proper support to any presenter during the long shows.
The new sofa has been hand made in a hardwearing, rich raspberry wine coloured, suede fabric by DFS’ expert team of skilled craftsmen in their Lincoln House factory in Derbyshire.
Thinking of giving your own home a sofa makeover? Clara has compiled a few handy tips for you below:
Creating a 'mood board'
- Get ideas from quality interior decor magazines, like Elle Decorations or Interiors
- Find a style that you love
- Tear photos out of the magazine and paste onto a piece of white card
- Pick out two or three predominant colours to create a palette
- Add complementary fabric swatches or picture of pieces of furniture
Choosing your style
- When designing your home, take into account the period of the building
- Make the most of original windows with suitable curtains
- Breaking up the style with eclectic elements can work
Picking your sofa
- Buy from quality manufacturer for better durability and style
- Take the mood board with you shopping so you don't stray from your 'Look'
- For a contemporary feel, choose a sofa with a low back and high arms
- A traditional sofa will add style and elegance
- For smaller rooms, choose a compact design, or a small sofa and a cuddler chair
- Think about lifestyle: if you like to watch TV, face your sofa in this direction; if you have young children, leather is easy to clean
Coordinating your walls
- If you are not sure, use a soft white throughout, with one feature wall painted a different colour
- Try the colour of the wall in your picture first, using a tester size pot
- Leave it for a day or two until you are sure
- Farrow and Ball paints create deep, soft tones in any lighting set up
- Dulux also have a good range and are reasonably priced
- Test wallpaper style the same way, hanging one full strip with masking tape
Showing off your 'mood board'
- Stick your board into a frame and mount it on your room wall as an original collage
- Cushions are important - save up for special cushions to add the finishing touch
- Our celebrity guests always notice the cushions on our sofa set!