New to Emmerdale? Don't worry, we'll get you up to speed. Catch up with all the major events from the past couple of years...
Major events 2010
- Aaron struggles to come to terms with his homosexuality, lashing out at everyone around him. He tries to commit suicide but is rescued by Adam and Cain.
- The Hopes’ turbulent relationship comes to an end when Viv finds out that Bob slept with Gennie Walker while Viv was in prison.
- Nicola spends what should be the happiest day of her life in court. She eventually gets to the church on time to marry Jimmy!
- Diane's whirlwind romance with Charlie turns out to be a fraud when the conman runs off with all her money.
- The Dingles are devastated when Shadrach dies of an alcohol-related illness.
- The murdered body of Mark Wylde is discovered in the woods. Nathan sets up half-brother Ryan who is arrested and found guilty. However, when Cain kidnaps Nathan, Natasha is forced to confess that she killed Mark and receives a life sentence.
- Leyla’s sister Alicia arrives in the village and their relationship is clearly strained. It is eventually revealed that Alicia’s son Jacob was actually born to Leyla.
- Disaster strikes when, after an argument, Aaron's boyfriend Jackson veers of the road and into the path of an oncoming train. After weeks in hospital we learn the terrible news that he will never recover the use of his arms or legs.
- In a desperate attempt to get through to addict Holly, John buys some heroin and offers to take it, to see what all the fuss is about. This is enough of a shock to put Holly back on the road to recovery.
- Vets Paddy and Rhona finally give in to their feelings and passionately kiss. One problem… Rhona was Paddy's best mate Marlon's girlfriend... Rhona then discovers she is pregnant with Marlon's child. To make things even more complicated the baby has Down's Syndrome.
- Carl and Eve embark on a lusty affair. Chas finds out but rather than kick him to the curb, she sets about an elaborate plan which ends in a huge Christmas Day wedding, a great deal of humiliation for both parties and Chas running off with most of Carl's hard-earned cash!
Major events 2011
- Detective Inspector Henshall takes a shine to Katie Sugden. After a series of break-ins and menacing phone calls to Katie's house, Henshall sets fire to Victoria Cottage with the intention of rescuing Katie and being a hero. However, while Carl King and Andy Sugden save Katie and her housemates, the fire spreads through the village and Viv Hope and Terry Woods are killed.
- That isn't the end of Henshall's menace, as the evidence slowly starts to point towards him. He panics and takes Katie hostage but knowing his house is surrounded he eventually turns his gun on himself.
- New guy Derek starts working at the factory and befriends Lisa and the rest of the Dingles. But the seemingly harmless delivery man turns out to be a rapist who attacks Lisa during some overtime at the factory. Lisa doesn’t report the incident straight away – when she eventually does there is insufficient evidence to prosecute Derek. However, weeks later, there is a glimmer of hope when another woman comes forward with a similar story.
- Jimmy has been meeting his ex, Kelly, who was exploiting him for money. After a vicious argument she wallops him around the head, causing him to suffer from amnesia. Taking advantage of his memory loss, Kelly moves back to the village and tries to get her claws back into him. She succeeds to a degree, until Jimmy gets his memory back and Kelly is found out and leaves the village.
- Aaron and Hazel learn that Jackson, so devastated by his disability, wants to end his own life. They set about trying to prove to him that life is worth living but their attempts are in vain. Hazel agrees to help Jackson die but at the crucial moment, she can't go through with it and so it's Aaron who carries out Jackson's final wish. Jackson dies on the 7th June.
- Aaron and Hazel are arrested but only Aaron goes to court charged with murder. He is let off when the court decides he was carrying out Jackson's wishes and acted out of love.
- Sarah Sugden is diagnosed with Fanconi Anaemia, a potentially fatal illnes. When the hospital fail to find a bone marrow donor, Debbie and Andy decide the only way to save her is to have another baby who would be a match.
- Cain Dingle is brutally attacked and almost dies. There are a number of suspects due to his long list of midemeanours; not least Amy, who recently gave birth to the child he told her to have aborted, and Jai and Charity, whose lives he tried to ruin. But it emerged that it was Zak who had decided his son needed to be taught a lesson.
- Amy gives the child Cain fathered up for adoption.