No, but as Laura tells us, it could be very wet and windy - it’s not possible to have a hurricane in the UK, however the remnants of a hurricane are heading towards us on Sunday, and there is a lot of uncertainty in the track. If it does it’ll bring unseasonably wet and windy weather, more reminiscent of Autumn.
Why can’t you have a hurricane in the UK?
Hurricanes are warmed cored storms over tropical waters. As soon as they move north into cooler waters they loose their tropical characteristics and become ‘extra tropical’ and are basically an ordinary area of low pressure with warm air within it.
What is happening with Ex Hurricane Bertha?
Earlier this week the remains of hurricane Bertha, moved north into the western side of the Atlantic, she will move steadily towards the UK during the next few days. The transition from a tropical to an extra-tropical feature is a particularly hard one to forecast with confidence. There is much more uncertainty than usual in the forecast. There are still some differences in the location and intensity of the resulting depression, which is expected to pass over, or close to, the UK from early on Sunday.
What is the forecast for Bertha?
The latest thoughts (40 %likelihood) are that the storm will track across southern areas of the UK. However, there is also the possibility (30% likelihood) that the storm could move across northern France as a weak feature and also a risk (30%) of it being further north and a more intense system affecting the UK more widely. There is still lots of uncertainty surrounding this weekend's weather, there is the potential for heavy rainfall, 50mm and strong coastal winds up to 60 or 70 mph, along with large coastal waves.
A combination of high spring tides and strong westerly winds brings a possible risk of flooding to the south-west coast of England and along the Severn Estuary while heavy rain may also lead to localised surface water flooding in parts of southern and central parts ofEngland.
Another storm is brewing before Bertha as we start the weekend
Friday will see an area of low pressure developing over France, this is forecast to move into southeast England and East Anglia through the morning with humid air this’ll bring heavy rain and some thunderstorms, a sit then moves into eastern then northeast England through the day. Heavy showers will break out through the Midlands and northern England too. Wales, southern and the southeast of England will have a fine day. Scotland and Northern Ireland will continue to have sunshine and showers but heavier and more widespread than recent days. These will be heavy and thundery and could bringthe risk of localised flooding.
Saturday is a much easier forecast, a dry day for many with spells of sunshine. There’ll be a fewshowers about mainly in the northwest.
Sunday Scotland and Northern Ireland look outside the main areas of risk and should have another day of sunshine and showers. For England and Wales as explained above it could be a day of heavy rain and gales, or, if the storm tracks further south it could be breezy with showers.
Will next week be storms or summery?
Unsettled will be the main theme. Cooler than of late, especially by night. Some sunny spells but also scattered showers and windy, mainly in the north and west. So keep those umbrellas handy.
Stay tuned to the forecast this weekend and stay safe.