Pretend you're on holiday by making this lovely summery dish of squid cooked with peppercorns and chilli to really bring out the flavour.
- 350g baby squid, sliced or cut into diagonals and scored
- 1 tsp salt
- 5t bsp corn flour
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil, to fry
- 1/2tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2tsp pink peppercorns
- 1 red chilli, sliced into rings
For the side salad
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- ½ a cucumber, cut into batons
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, washed and leaves picked
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 150g salad leaves, washed
- Any dipping sauce such as sweet chilli etc
1. Fill a large pan or wok with 5cm of oil, or use a deep fat fryer, and heat it to 180C, or until a small piece of bread browns in 15 seconds.
2. Beat the egg and coat the squid pieces then dip into the seasoned flour – fry for about a minute - in batches if necessary. They won’t turn golden brown so don’t burn them! Stir once to make sure they don't stick to the bottom.
3. Use a slotted spoon to lift the cooked squid on to kitchen towel.
4. While the squid is cooking, heat a large wok and crush the peppercorns lightly in a pestle and mortar, dry fry over a high heat for about 30 seconds before adding the crispy squid pieces and chilli, toss once or twice then its ready to serve.
5. Tip on to a serving plate and serve with the salad and dipping sauce
Please note that due to the live nature of Let's Do Lunch, the recipes may not always exactly match the dishes Gino cooks on the show.