Chocolate fans, you’re in for a treat with this double layered chocolate cake. Just make sure you save some for your guests.
• 160g chopped hazelnuts, toasted
• 6 large egg whites, at room temperature
• a pinch of salt
• 160g granulated sugar
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 150g chocolate chips,
• 170g dark chocolate, melted and cooled
• 600ml double cream
• 100g icing sugar
• Chocolate shavings, for garnish
• Cocoa powder to finish
1. Preheat the oven to 160c and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw 3 8-inch rounds
2. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the egg whites with the salt at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the granulated sugar at high speed until stiff. Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts. Fold in the hazelnuts and chocolate chips. Pour the melted chocolate down the side of the bowl and gently fold until the meringue is lightly marbled.
3. Spread the meringue in the drawn circles and bake for 2 hours and 30 minutes, until crisp; rotate the pans halfway through baking. Turn off the oven, leave the door ajar and let the meringues cool completely.
4. In the bowl of the standing mixer, beat the cream with the confectioners' sugar until firm. Remove the meringues from the parchment paper. Spread the whipped cream on the layers then dust with cocoa powder and stack them. Refrigerate the cake overnight, this makes it chewy.
5. Cut into wedges and serve at room temperature. Garnish with chocolate shavings before serving.
Please note that due to the live nature of Let's Do Lunch our online recipes may not exactly match how Gino makes them on the show