Gino mixes two of our favourite desserts together and adds a big dose of chocolate to create a taste of heaven!
300ml hot chocolate
6 tbsp orange liqueur - or use your favourite!
5 medium eggs, separated
5 tbsp caster sugar
500g mascarpone cheese
500ml double cream, whipped
5 chocolate flakes
1 large shop bought chocolate cake
Cocoa powder, for dusting
1 bar dark chocolate to decorate
1. Pour the coffee into a large bowl, mix in the chocolate liqueur and set aside.
2. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in another large bowl for about 5 minutes until thick and pale. Add the mascarpone cheese and beat thoroughly to mix. Use a metal spoon to gently fold in the whipped cream.
3. Beat the egg whites in a third large bowl until soft peaks form. Fold them quickly, but gently, into the cream mixture, and then add the remaining liqueur and crumble in the flakes trying not to lose the volume.
4. Slice the cake into cubes or similar and cover the bottom of a glass trifle bowl and pour a third of the chocolate mixture over. Spread some of the cream mixture over the cake. Repeat the process till the bowl is full.
5. Smooth the surface, cover with cling film and chill for about 2 hours to allow the flavours to develop.
6. Just before serving (and not before or the cocoa powder will go bitter), remove the cling film and dust with cocoa powder. Then top with lots of chocolate curls.
7. To make the curls drag the blade of a knife down the chocolate bar lengthways till you get long curly shard like pieces and top the trifle.
Please note that due to the live nature of Let's Do Lunch, the recipes may not always exactly match the dishes Gino cooks on the show.