Try Gino's easy-to-make chocolate macaroons - little biscuits made from ground almonds and quality chocolate.
- 2 egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 175g ground almonds
- 225g good quality dark chocolate (70% coco solids)
- Butter for greasing
1. Grease a large baking tray with butter and preheat he oven to 180oC.
2. In a clean large dry bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff then gently fold in the ground almonds and sugar.
3. Wet your hands, take a tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a finger shape about 6cm long.
Place on the baking tray and repeat the process, spacing them well apart
4. Bake in the middle of the oven for 12 minutes then allow to cool slightly.
5. Meanwhile, place the chocolate in a small glass bowl over a pan of simmering water and allow to melt (ensure the bowl does not touch the water otherwise the chocolate will become bitter).
Dip the base of each finger biscuit in the chocolate and place on a baking sheet (chocolate side face-up) until set.
6. Once set, turn the biscuits over and with the help of a fork, drizzle over more chocolate sauce creating a zig-zag effect. Alternatively, you may prefer instead to just dip half of the biscuit on one side.
7. Serve once the chocolate has set with a cup of coffee.