Gino's super-light lemon cake uses yogurt instead of butter for an tasty teatime treat that's lower in calories.
- Juice and zest of 1 large unwaxed lemon
- 150g caster sugar
- 160ml low-fat natural yogurt
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 270g self-raising flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp butter, for greasing
For the syrup (optional)
- 100ml (about 4 lemons) lemon juice
- 75g sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 160C.
2. Grease a 20cm diameter round cake tin with butter and line the base with baking parchment.
3. Pour the lemon juice into a small saucepan and mix in the sugar. Heat until the sugar has dissolved then set aside.
4. Place the lemon zest in a large bowl and add the remaining sugar with the yogurt, oil, flour and eggs. Use a wooden spoon to mix everything together. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and transfer to the middle of the oven to bake for 55 minutes or until risen and springy when touched.
5. Stand the tin on a cooling rack. Allow it to cool down completely in the tin before turning out. Once completely cooled, prick with a skewer or fork and slowly spoon the lemon juice syrup the hot cake. Grate a little lemon zest over for decoration and enjoy with your afternoon tea.
Please note that due to the live nature of Let's Do Lunch, the recipes may not always exactly match the dishes Gino cooks on the show.