James is making some noise in the kitchen with his Bang Bang Chicken. With lettuce, cucumber and carrot its a light, quick mid week meal, perfect for a Taste of Summer.
3 skinless boned chicken breasts
1.5 inch piece of fresh ginger shredded
1 baby gem lettuce picked into leaves
1 carrot peeled and cut into matchsticks
3 spring onions sliced on an angle1
1 cucumber peeled deseeded and cut into matchsticks
1 sliced red onion
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp toasted crushed peanuts (optional)
20g fresh coriander
200g rice noodles cooked and refreshed as packet instructions state
1 lime cut into wedges for serving
5 tbsp smooth peanut butter
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
Pinch dried chilli flake
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1. Place the chicken breasts and ginger into a sauce pan add a pinch of salt and cover with water, bring to a simmer and leave to poach gently for 12 minutes until the chicken is firm to the touch and cooked through.
2. Drain and leave to cool then shred the chicken breast apart using your fingers.
3. Put all the ingredients for the dressing into a saucepan and gently warm through, stirring to combine. If a little thick for your liking simply thin down with a dash of the chicken poaching liquor then remove from the heat and cool.
4. In a bowl combine the noodles and vegetables together. Drizzle in a little of the dressing and mix to combine.
5. To serve take individual or a large serving bowl and lay the gem lettuce leaves around the edge of the bowl, add a pile of noodles and vegetables and top off with the shredded chicken, spoon over the remaining dressing and scatter over toasted sesame and cracked peanuts, garnish with fresh coriander and a wedge of lime.