Dean Edwards shows us a perfect brunch recipe to make for mum this Mother's Day - tasty French toast with berries!
4 slices brioche (1 thick)
3 eggs, beaten
½ tsp ground cinnamon
50ml double cream
1 tsp caster sugar
30g unsalted butter
400g mixed berries and fruit I like to use:
100g fresh blueberries
100g fresh raspberries
100g strawberries hulled and halved
1tbs caster sugar or to taste
200ml tub crème fraiche
1 vanilla pod
1 tsp icing sugar
1. Place the blueberries and blackberries into a pan with the sugar and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes - you want any liquid to be nice and syrupy, so raise the heat if you need to for a minute or so. Remove from the heat then stir through the rest of the fruit. Check to see if you need a touch
more sugar then leave to sit while you make the toast.
2. Place the eggs, cream, cinnamon and sugar into a bowl then mix together. Pour into a shallow baking dish then lay in the sliced brioche. Leave to soak up for a couple of minutes before turning, and leaving to sit for a few more minutes.
3. Warm a large non stick pan before adding the butter. Lay in the brioche and cook over a medium heat for around two minutes or until golden, flip then cook the other side.
4. Halve the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds, stir through the crème fraiche
along with the icing sugar.
5. Top the French toast with a heap of berries then top with a big dollop of crème fraiche and finally a dusting of icing sugar.