Jon Rotheram shows us how to make his simple yet delicious broccoli, chilli and orecchiette.
1kg broccoli heads and leaves
2 tblsp olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 small dried chillies, finely sliced
50g unsalted butter
150ml double cream
120g Parmesan, freshly grated
Salt and freshly ground pepper to season
1. Cut the broccoli into small pieces so that each has flower, stalk and leaf. Reserve a couple on the side.
2. Blanch the remaining briefly in boiling water.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the garlic gently until light brown. Add the chillies and the butter and let it all cook for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the broccoli and the cream to the saucepan, bring to the boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes or until the broccoli is cooked.
5. Mash or pulse in an electric blender half of the broccoli sauce and then return to the pan with the other half of the sauce.
6. Cook the orecchiette in a generous amount of boiling salted water, then drain well and mix into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Before serving, sprinkle the grated Parmesan on top of the dish and finely grate the raw broccoli florets reserved earlier.