It's time for more of Lorraine's Wake Up And Bake and today Nadia Sawalha is making chocolate and hazelnut meringues.
4 large egg whites
150g caster sugar
¼ spoon cream of tartare
4 tspns sifted chocolate powder
1 tspn cocoa powder
2 tbspn chopped hazelnuts
1. The oven should be pre-heated to gas mark 2/150°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. In a large clean bowl beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on a slow to medium speed until they are foamy, then add the cream of tartar and continue to whisk until your whites make soft peaks.
3. Add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time and continue whisking at a higher speed until stiff peaks form.
4. Sift in the coca powder and gently fold with a metal spoon but dont mix in completely though as we are after swirls of chocolate.
5. Spoon the mixture onto your prepared baking tray so you end up with 6 meringues together. Sprinkle evenly with the hazelnuts and bake for one hour.