James shows us how to make his tasty, crispy fried chicken burgers with delicious American-style potato wedges.
2 large chicken breasts
150g panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp plain flour
1 beaten egg
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cracked black pepper
A pinch of salt
4 floured burger baps or ciabatta buns, toasted
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 beef tomato, sliced
¼ shredded iceberg lettuce
2 sliced dill pickles
½ sliced red onion
4 slices of smoked cheese or cheddar cheese for children
For the potato wedges
300g new potatoes, cut into wedges
1 tsp sea salt
1tsp curry powder
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 5.
2. Slice the chicken in half lengthways with a sharp knife then place between two pieces of cling film. Flatten out slightly using a rolling pin or meat mallet.
3. Set up three plates on your work top. On the first plate add the flour, paprika, black pepper and salt and mix to combine. On the second plate crack an egg, add a splash of water and mix to combine finely on the third plate. Add the breadcrumbs.
4. Take the flattened chicken and dip first in the flour mix, then the egg, and then the breadcrumbs.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan to a medium heat, add a splash of oil and lay in the chicken pieces. Cook two at a time. Colour for around 1 minute on each side then transfer to a baking tray. Place in a preheated oven to cook through for 8 minutes. If adding cheese simply lay a slice on top of each piece of chicken in the final minute of cooking so the cheese slightly warms through.
6. To serve take your toasted buns, spreading each with mayonnaise. Add some shredded lettuce, sliced dill pickle, a slice of beef tomato and red onion then top off with the crispy chicken. Spike with a wooden skewer to keep it all in place. Slice in half and serve with wedges and coleslaw.
7. Meanwhile, to cook the wedges, heat oven to 180C/gas 5. Toss the wedges and ingredients together in a bowl and lay onto baking tray and roast in the hot oven for 15-20 minutes until browned and tender. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with the hot chicken burgers.