James Tanner's crispy chicken and corn on the cob is a family favourite that's perfect for picnics and great for eating with your fingers!
1 whole chicken cut for saute pieces
1 1/2 ltrs Water
3 tablespoons Salt (for soaking)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Soybean Oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 200oc/gas 5
- Allow chicken to soak in salted water for a half hour.
- Mix egg and milk in a shallow bowl. Mix flour, paprika, salt, and pepper in another bowl.
- Dry chicken with paper towels. Dredge in flour mixture, then place in milk/eggs and then back to flour mixture. Do this one piece at a time making sure that there is total coverage over entire surface of chicken in each step.
- Place a good splash of oil in a large non-stick frying pan set on medium.
- Fry a few pieces of chicken at a time in the pan and colour all over. Place on a baking tray and cook for around 20 minutes, in the oven, turning occasionally.
- As always with chicken, check the middle of a large piece to check the juices run clear. Allow to drain on paper towels when cooking is completed.
300g shredded white cabbage
100g carrot, shredded
1 tbsp caster sugar
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 teas. pepper
60ml buttermilk (optional)
1 1/2 tbsp. white vinegar
2 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Combine cabbage and carrots in a large salad bowl. Mix remaining ingredients together and combine thoroughly. Pour liquid ingredients over cabbage and carrots and stir. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving (overnight is better). Stir well before serving.
4 x corn cobs (husks removed top and tailed and cut in half)
1 x tbsp butter
Cook in boiling salted water for 10 minutes until slightly tender. To finish, simply colour on the hot char grill so slightly blackened.
New Potato Wedges
400g new potatoes cut into wedges
1 tsp sea salt
1tsp curry powder
2 tbsp olive oil
Heat oven to 200oc/gas 5 toss wedges and ingredients together in a bowl lay onto baking tray and roast in hot oven for 15-20 minutes until browned and tender drain on kitchen paper and serve with hot chicken, corn cobs and slaw.