Dean shows us how to make a really tasty vegetable dish with aubergine, chickpeas, herbs and pomegranate seeds.
2 baby aubergines
1 400g tin chickpeas, drained
200g whole wheat cous cous
400ml chicken stock (replace with vegetable for vegetarians)
1 tsp rose harissa paste
Small handful parsley
Small handful fresh mint
20ml extra virgin olive oil
Juice ½ lemon
80g baby plum tomatoes
½ red onion, sliced
60g pine nuts, toasted
Seeds from ½ pomegranate
1. Slice the aubergine lengthways then rub with a little olive oil.
2. in a preheated griddle pan cook for 2-3 mins per side then set aside. You may need to do this in batches.
3. Meanwhile place the cous cous in a bowl and pour over the boiling stock and stir through the harissa. Cover with clingfilm and leave to stand for 5 minutes, then fork through to separate the grains.
4. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, chopped herbs, lemon juice, olive oil, season with salt and pepper then mix.
5. Divide the cous cous between four plates then top with some of the aubergine.
6. Finally sprinkle over the pomegranate and toasted pine nuts.