James Tanner is back in the kitchen cooking up tasty turkey steaks with crushed sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce.
2 x 160g skinless turkey breast steaks
1 large sweet potato (approx 500g)
3 leaves chopped sage
2 slice spring onions
250g (quarter head) finely shredded winter cabbage
1 clove of chopped garlic
1 tbsp cranberry sauce
1 chopped shallot
150ml beef stock
100ml red wine
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Pre heat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. First prepare your sweet potato, peel off the skin and chop into even sizes chunks. Pop in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and cook until just tender for around 12 minutes, drain well in a colander then crush with a fork or a masher and set aside.
3. Put the cranberry and wine in a saucepan with the chopped shallot and reduce by half on a medium heat, then add the stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced by half again and set aside.
4. For the turkey steaks rub with oil and sear both sides for one minute in a char grill pan or frying pan then transfer to a baking tray and cook in preheated oven for 8 minutes to cook through. Remove and rest before serving adding any of the resting juices to your sauce.
5. While the turkey is cooking place the cabbage in a small saucepan with the chopped garlic and just a splash of water. Cover with a lid and bring to a simmer then cook for four minutes, stirring occasionally, until only just tender. Add the chopped sage and season to taste.
6. To serve, heat the crushed sweet potato through and stir in the sliced spring onions then arrange a pile on a warm serving plate. Add a pile of your cooked cabbage, slice the turkey in half and arrange on top, then pour over your cranberry sauce.