As our thoughts turn to summer holidays, TV Presenter and fitness fanatic Linda Barker's back in the kitchen to share with us some of the healthy summery recipes she enjoys, to get that bikini body.
Today it's a quick and easy salad that reminds her of holidays in Italy, and is full of goodness!
16-20 mini chicken fillets
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp dried chilli flakes (or 2 medium hot fresh red chillies, finely chopped)
1 small bunch fresh thyme
4 tbsp sunflower oil
1 lemon, juiced
- In a zip lock food bag, place the chicken, garlic, chilli, herbs, oil, lemon juice and salt together. Massage the ingredients into the chicken until well coated.
- Leave to marinade for at least 30 minutes or preferably overnight.
- Cook the chicken on a preheated griddle pan for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked, giving nice charred marks.
For the basil oil
1 large bunch of basil
300ml olive oil
Pinch of salt
- Make the basil oil using a pestle and mortar or a small blender.
- Place the basil into a blender with the salt and blitz whilst slowly adding the oil in until you get a thick green paste.
- Remove from the blender and keep aside.
For the salad
2 buffalo mozzarella balls
250g baby tomatoes, sliced
150g semi dried sun blush tomatoes
1 bulb fennel
½ lemon, juiced
1 bunch watercress
100g fresh peas, blanched and refreshed
Fresh herbs or pea shoots to garnish.
- Using a mandolin, finely shred the fennel and place into a bowl. Add the lemon juice and coat well to stop from discolouring.
- Add the fresh and sun blush tomatoes to the fennel together with 1 tbsp of the basil oil. Add the watercress and mix.
- Divide and pile some salad onto 4 plates, tear the mozzarella and place onto the salad. Place the cooked chicken fillets or thighs on top and scatter over some peas.
- Dot teaspoons of basil oil over the dish and garnish with fresh herbs or pea shoots.