James Tanner brings us a taste of Mexico with his tasty chicken tacos, served with a peppery salsa.
8 x soft or hard 6-8 inch taco shells
8 x skinless and boneless chicken thighs
1 tbsp Chipotle paste
¼ head shredded iceberg lettuce
1/4 of chopped cucmber
Picco de gallo salsa
6 deseeded and diced plum tomatoes
1 small diced red onion
3 tbsp chopped coriander
1/ 2 chopped and diced jarred jalapeno peppers (depending on how hot you like it)
2 cloves minced garlic
Juice of half a lime
100g grated Monteray jack cheese
150g Sour cream
1. For the salsa, mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl, cover with cling film and chill for 1 hour.
2. Pre-heat oven to 180C gas 4.
3. Mix the chicken thigh meat in a bowl with a tbsp of oil and the chipotle paste. Leave for around 10 minutes to come up to room temperature.
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan on the hob, add a splash of oil and sear the chicken thighs on both sides for around 1 minute on each side. Pop the pan in the oven and cook chicken through for ten minutes then remove and rest for two minutes to slightly cool.
5. Take your chosen taco shell (soft or hard) and warm through. For hard simply pop into the heated oven to warm the shells through for two minutes and for soft cook in a dry hot pan for 30 seconds each side to slightly brown and warm.
6. Take the cooked chicken and roughly chop on a board into small pieces. In the base of your shells add some lettuce, cucumber and top with the chopped chicken then top off with a good spoonful of salsa, a dollop of guacamole and sour cream and a sprinkling of monteray jack cheese. Dig in!