As we step into Cannes this week, James shows us how to make a French recipe - healthy tuna nicoise salad!
220g new potatoes
4 x 170g boneless fresh Tuna loin steaks
150g asparagus spears
100g fine French beans cut into one inch pieces
1 diced red onion
2 cloves sliced garlic
Zest of a lemon
200g baby plum tomatoes cut in half
50g pitted nicoise olives
1 tsp capers
2 large soft boiled eggs
3 tbsp of olive oil
For the dressing:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice half a lemon
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Prepare the dressing by placing all the ingredients in a screw top jar and shake together and set aside.
2. Cook the potatoes in a large pan of salted water for around 12 minutes until just tender and refresh with cold running water, drain well then set aside.
3. Cook the eggs in simmering water for 4/5 minutes to soft boiled then refresh, peel and cut into halves.
4. Blanch the green beans and asparagus spears in salted water for five minutes so they retain a firm bite. Refresh in cold water then drain.
5. To assemble the dish heat a chargrill pan to a high heat ready for cooking your tuna steaks.
6. Add the oil to a medium heat in a large frying pan then add the onion and sliced garlic. Cook for two minutes stirring constantly. Next add the blanched beans, cherry tomato halves, capers, lemon zest, olives, cooked potatoes, asparagus spears and toss the mixture together. Lower the heat and keep warm.
7. Season and oil both sides of the tuna steaks and sear on the chargrill pan for one minute each side remove and rest for two minutes this will give you a pink steak.
8. To assemble, check the vegetable mix is heated through, season and add to plates. Add boiled egg halves and slice the tuna steaks in half and lay over vegetables. Add some marinated anchovy fillets and scatter over the rocket then drizzle dish with the lemon dressing.