Dean Edwards show us how to make a French fancy dish of mussels in tasty garlic and white wine sauce - complete with garlic bread.
1 kg live mussels
2 shallots, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
100g pancetta, cubed
150ml white wine
2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 tbsp crème fraiche
150g salted butter
5 cloves garlic crushed
2 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
1 French baguette
1. To make the garlic butter, cream the room temperature butter with the garlic and parsley, spread onto a sliced baguette, wrap in foil and bake for 10 minutes at 190C /170C fan.
2. Scrub and de-beard the mussels then set aside.
3. In a pan large enough to fit the mussels in, fry the pancetta over a high heat until golden then add the shallots and garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
4. Add the mussels into the pan along with the wine, give a quick stir then cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the mussels are open. Stir through the parsley then spoon the mussels into serving bowls.
5. Stir the crème fraiche into the sauce then pour over the mussels. Serve with the garlic bread.