This is one of chef Bill Granger's favourite desserts and being an Aussie, it's something he's always loved to eat and make himself.
3 large egg whites, the fresher the better
150g/5oz caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
A squeeze of lemon
75g pistachios, roughly chopped
300g mixed strawberries and raspberries, strawberries quartered
1 tbsp icing sugar
200ml double cream
100ml crème fraîche
1. Preheat oven to 160C/325F/Gas3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Put the egg whites in a large, clean bowl and whisk to soft, shiny peaks - ensure the whites don't go grainy.
3. Gradually add the 150g of sugar in heaped tablespoons, whisking well after each addition to make sure all of the sugar is fully incorporated. Add the cornflour and lemon juice. Continue to whisk until the whites are really stiff, very shiny and stand up in peaks when you lift your beaters out.
4. Use a large metal spoon to gently fold in most of the pistachio nuts. Spoon six saucer-sized dollops on to the parchment paper and use a spoon to make a dip in the centre of each..
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 140C/275F/Gas1. Cook the meringue for 45 minutes. Switch off the oven, open the door slightly then allow the meringue to cool completely in the oven.
6. Mash a handful of berries and the icing sugar with a fork until juicy and broken down. Whip the cream, fold in the crème fraîche then swirl through the crushed berries.
7. To serve, pile the strawberry-cream mix on to the pavlovas and top with the remaining berries. Scatter with the remaining chopped pistachios.