Dean Edwards' chicken cooked in lime and different seasonings and served up in a tasty gravy is the perfect weekend treat for the family.
1 free range chicken 1.5 - 2 kg
Thumbsized piece of ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, crushed
7-8 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tbsp jerk paste
1 tsp all purpose seasoning
30ml olive oil
1 lime, halved
1 onion, cut into six
2 peppers, deseeded and cut into 8
3 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into chunky pieces
2 red onions quartered
Small piece fresh ginger grated
3 cloves garlic crushed
3 sprigs fresh thyme
Olive oil for cooking
1 tbsp plain flour
400ml chicken stock
1. Place the chicken on a baking tray, slash the thighs with a sharp knife then rub with the jerk paste, thyme, ginger and garlic, then place some thyme sprigs and the lime halves inside of the chicken cavity.
2. Place the chicken on top of the onion wedges and pour in the lager. Roast in a preheated oven set at 190C / 170C
fan for 45 mins per kilo plus 20 mins. Baste occasionally until the chicken is completely cooked and the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part.
3. Place the sweet potato chunks into a large bowl along with the onion, peppers, ginger, garlic and thyme, season with salt and pepper then give a good coating of olive oil before adding to a preheated roasting tin and cooking for about 40-50 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest for 20 mins on a plate covered loosely in foil.
5. To make the gravy, pour off some of the fat from the tray if any, then add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes then add the stock to deglaze, bring up to the boil and cook until the gravy thickens.
6. Pass through the sieve and serve over the carved chicken and vegetables.