James Tanner serves up a veritable family feast of roast lamb chops seasoned with rosemary and garlic and served with creamy polenta.
6 x untrimmed lamb cutlets
1 whole bulb of garlic
2 sprigs of thyme
60g quick cook instant polenta
150ml chicken stock
1 tbsp salted butter
Small handful of parmesan cheese
1 head prepped English Asparagus
2 fillets of anchovies
2 sprigs of rosemary
Zest of half a lemon
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove
Approx 60ml extra virgin olive oil for dressing
1. Pre heat oven to 200oc/gas 6
2. Take the garlic bulb, trim off the top and sit in a small frying pan on a sheet of tin foil. Pour over a tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle over the thyme leaves and a pinch of sea salt. Pull the edges of the foil together and create a seal so you have a small foil bag. Place in the oven for 30 minutes to roast through and soften.
3. Meanwhile bring the chicken stock and milk to a gentle simmer then whisk in the polenta. Cook over a gentle heat for about 5 mins (check the packet instructions) stirring occasionally. To finish squeeze the soft garlic cloves into the polenta and stir in a knob of butter and a little grated parmesan. Season to taste.
4. For the dressing take a pestle and mortar and strip the rosemary leaves off the branches. Pound in the pestle to bruise the leaves then pound in the anchovy fillets garlic and lemon zest. Add extra virgin oil and lemon juice to create a bright green dressing. (Alternatively chop the rosemary very fine with the garlic and lemon zest then add to oil NB it wont be as green).
5. For the lamb, heat a griddle to a medium heat and oil and season the lamb cutlets. Cook for around 4 minutes on each side (during the cooking, use a set of tongs to hold the cutlets on their fat side for a minute to really crispen up the fat!)
6. To cook the asparagus simply snap off the woody ends, drizzle over a little oil and seasoning and cook in the same griddle pan turning occasionally for 3 minutes to just cook through, they are best served with a bite!
7. To serve, spoon the polenta onto a plate with a pile of roast asparagus, add the lamb cutlets neatly to each plate and drizzle over and around the dressing.