Bored with sandwiches? Bill Granger gives us a tasty alternative with his smokey couscous salad.
With a little prep the night before it's easily transportable in one of the many trendy lunchboxes he's got to show case and is both filling and good for you!
Makes: 2 lunches
Juice of 1/2 lemon
4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 red chilli, finely chopped
100g giant couscous
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
a handful flat leaf parsley leaves
a handful coriander leaves
5 salad onions, finely sliced
2 smoked mackerel fillets, skinned
a handful of toasted pine nuts
- Combine the dressing ingredients and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the couscous following packet instructions, drain, stir through the dressing and set aside to cool. Cover and keep chilled in the fridge.
- Before leaving for work the next day, add the carrot, fennel, spring onions and pinenuts to the cous cous.
- Stir though the herbs and divide the salad between two large tupperwares.
- Break the mackerel fillets over the couscous into large flakes, ready to be folded into the salad at lunchtime.