Try these healthy Hollywood-style English muffins with a berry selection and mascarpone cheese.
1½ tsp active dry yeast
240ml/8 fl oz warm water
120ml/4 fl oz hot skimmed milk
1 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tsp granulated sugar
2 tsp baking soda
450g/15oz white unbleached bread flour
150g/5oz wholemeal flour
150g mixed berries
1 tbsp mascarpone
1. In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in 2 tablespoons of the warmed water for about five minutes.
2. Add in the rest of the water, the hot milk, sugar and baking soda.
3. Next, slowly beat in half of the wholemeal and half of the white flour. Cover the bowl with a cloth or cling film and place in a warm place for around one and a half hours.
4. Once the dough has risen, turn the dough out onto a flour dusted breadboard and knead in the remaining flour. Knead by rolling and until there are no folds showing.
5. Next, lightly grease the inside of the muffin rings then place on a baking tray that’s been generously dusted with flour. Half fill the rings with the dough. Cover with a light cloth and set in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 220°C / 425°F / gas mark 7.
7. Place the muffins in the oven and after 2 minutes turn. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Place on a cooling rack. When cooled remove from the rings.
9. For a crumpet mixture increase the milk to 400ml.
Saturated Fat: 0.2g
Total Fat: 1.4g