Try these delicious and low-cal orange zest waffles. Fruity and fabulous!
150g/5oz white plain flour
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 large egg, separated
240g/8fl oz orange juice (with added calcium preferably)
1 tsp grated orange peel zest
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp granulated sugar
Blueberries to garnish
For the topping
240ml/8fl oz apple sauce
Juice of one orange
1. In a medium to large mixing bowl sift together the flour and cinnamon.
2. Add to the flour the egg yolk, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla, and beat to make a smooth batter.
3. In another bowl, whisk or beat the egg white with the cream of tartar until it forms stiff peaks. Fold this with a metal spoon into the batter.
4. Lightly cover the waffle maker with oil and place around quarter of the mixture on it and cook.
5. To prepare the topping, combine the apple sauce and juice of an orange and heat, stirring occasionally.
6. Serve the waffles with the topping.
Saturated Fat: .477g
Total Fat: 1.812g
Sodium: 18 mg