Michelle Heaton gives us some of her top tips for losing weight the healthy way as well as her favourite healthy snacks.
14 ways to keep on track
1. Never skip meals.
2. Eat every 2.5-3 hours - it keeps your metabolism going.
3. Try to drink 2-3 litres of water a day.
4. Try to work out 5 days a week for around 45/50 minutes at a time. If you don't have time do two mini 20 minute workouts a day.. It’s even better for you than one big one!
5. Always be prepared and have healthy snacks ready in your bag, such as nuts, carrot sticks, humus, protein bars, etc.
6. If going out for a meal, search for the menu online and look for the healthiest option so you are not stuck on the night.. and always ask for dressing on the side! That's what adds the calories.
7. Do your cardio exercises after weights.
8. Carbs are not the enemy. They give your body energy and fuel for the day so have them early and the right type of carb. Oats, brown rice, sweet potato and wholegrain bread are best.
9. But don't eat white carbs! At all! They send your sugar levels skyrocketing and that’s what makes you store fat. Swap them for brown carbs or sweet potatoes. And don’t eat any after your mid-afternoon snack.
10. Try to stick to no more than 1-2 pieces of fruit a day. It's full of sugar - yes natural sugar - but your body will store it as fat if it's eaten late at night! Berries are the best fruit to eat for weight loss. If you are having fruit, have it earlier in the day.
11. Pack your plate with green veg! It's full of fibre and vitamins and most green veg contain so little calories that you burn more calories actually eating them!
12. Flavour your food with spices and herbs, not fattening sauces or oils.
13. Avoid sports drinks when doing exercise as they will blunt your body’s ability to burn fat
14. Have ONE treat meal a week. Enjoy!
Michelle's favourite snacks
Michelle says: "I always eat every 2.5-3 hours. I never skip meals or snacks as it slows the metabolism down if you leave long periods between meals. Here are my favourite low-calorie snacks".
- A protein bar (try keep it under 200 calories and check sugars content, making sure it's below 3/4g per bar)
- A protein shake (again one that's under 200 cals made with water, not milk)
- Cucumber and tomatoes with low fat cottage cheese
- A handful of almonds
- No added sugar jam or no added sugar peanut butter or extra light cream cheese on celery
- Greek yogurt with a teaspoon of no added sugar jam and a teaspoon of no added sugar peanut butter
- A piece of fruit
- Frozen berries blended with a scoop protein powder, ice and water.
- Three no added salt rice cakes with either low fat cottage cheese and chives, ham (thinly sliced) with low fat cottage cheese or no added sugar peanut butter
Find out more about Michelle Heaton
Get her fitness plan
Go back to Miami Beach Diet
Catch up with Lorraine on ITV Player