Lisa Faulkner's creamy mushroom and asparagus risotto that won't break the calorie bank.
40g unsalted butter
200g mixed mushrooms, sliced
1 onion chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
200g Arborio rice
750ml warm vegetable stock
200g asparagus, sliced
100g baby leaf spinach
40g parmesan cheese, grated, plus 10 of parmesan shavings to finish
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat 20g of the butter in a large heavy-based frying pan and cook the mushrooms for about 3 minutes. Suggest cook with a lid on and on lower heat, moisture is needed as less fat is used. Use a slotted spoon to transfer them to a plate and keep warm.
2. In the same pan, gently fry the onion and garlic in the rest of the butter for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add the rice and cook for 3-4 minutes over a low heat, making sure all of the grains are coated in butter.
4. Slowly add the warm stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring continuously. Wait until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice before adding another ladleful of stock. Increase the heat to high now and keep stirring and adding ladles of stock. After about 15 minutes the rice will be cooked and you will have a beautifully creamy risotto.
5. Add the asparagus, cook for a further 3 minutes, then add the cooked mushrooms, spinach and the parmesan and mix through the risotto so that the spinach wilts. Season to taste.
6. Serve in bowls topped with some parmesan shavings.
Sat Fat: 7.75g