This slow cooked beef and chorizo chilli is bursting with flavour, but low in calories!
1 tbsp olive oil
500g lean beef stewing steak, cut into pieces
100g chorizo, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced,
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp all-spice
1/2 bay leaf
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 dried red chilli, chopped
1/2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1/2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tbsp sugar (any kind)
100ml beef stock
1/2 x 400g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
350g green cabbage, finely sliced, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 2.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan or a large casserole dish. Fry the meat on all sides until golden. Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat from the pan and set aside.
3. Put the chorizo into the pan and brown until it just starts to release its juices. Use a slotted spoon again to remove the chorizo and set aside, reserving the oil in the pan.
4. Fry the onion, garlic, herbs, spices and chilli in the chorizo oil until softened. Season and add the tomatoes, tomato puree, ketchup, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Stir until mixed.
5. Put the beef and chorizo back in the pan along with the wine or stock. Bring up to simmering point and cover with the lid. Transfer to the preheated oven and cook for 2 hours. Take out of the oven, add the kidney beans and return to the oven fir a further hour. Stir through the coriander, if using, before serving.
6. Steam finely sliced green cabbage. Serve mince on a bed of steamed cabbage!
Sat Fat: 7.75g