A quick and simple version of Shepherd's pie served with spiced red cabbage.
200g sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
2 tbsp semi skimmed milk
1 heaped tsp soft margarine
200g lean minced beef
2 tsp vegetable oil for frying
1 small red onion
1 garlic clove crushed
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp dried basil
150ml chopped tinned tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
For the red cabbage:
300g red cabbage, washed trimmed, finely sliced
150g onions, chopped very small
150gg cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
1/2 garlic glove, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chicken stock
1 1/2 tbsp wine or cider vinegar
2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
Generous tsp ground cinnamon
Generous tsp ground cloves
Generous tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp butter, softened
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water for 12- 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash with the milk and butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Preheat grill to medium. Meanwhile, stir-fry the mince, onion, garlic and paprika until meat is slightly browned. Add Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, herbs and stock. Simmer gently for 15 minutes until mince is tender. Season to taste.
3. Spoon the mince into a shallow flame-proof dish and top evenly with mashed sweet potato. Place under grill for 4 – 5 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Serve with a side dish of red cabbage.
For the cabbage:
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 2.
2. Put the cabbage into a large casserole dish with the onions, apples and garlic and pour over the stock and vinegar.
3. Add the redcurrant jelly, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and brown sugar. Mix thoroughly, cover with a lid and cook in the oven 1½ hours until the cabbage is very tender. Taste and season and add the butter before serving.
Sat Fat: .5g
Sat Fat: 1.5g