Warming up is a must before any workout - take a look at our guide to make sure you are all set and ready to begin exercising!
You must warm up before each cardiovascular and toning workout. If you are doing them together, warm up first, then do your cardio, followed by your toning and cool down.
To warm up
Do the activity you are about to do at a lower intensity, where you only reach Level 1 on your intensity guide (see below*). If doing cardio that means walking, running etc at an easy pace with small movements, gradually increasing your pace and stride.
Start to think about your posture - shoulders down, tummy in, looking straight ahead.
If doing just toning, go through your four exercises without any resistance or just holding for one to two seconds. Use small movements and gradually increase.
Keep repeating for a minimum of six minutes or alternatively try the following:
- March on the spot for one minute, whilst rolling shoulders back.
- Curl your legs back for one minute.
- Lift your knees and rotate at the waist - elbow to knee with chest lifted – for one minute.
- Tap your toes behind you, gradually lengthening your legs further behind for one to two minutes.
- Slow the above movement down by finishing on a lunging action where you feel length in your leg as you lunge back, alternating legs for one minute.
- Level 1 – Can comfortably talk throughout , feeling hotter but not puffed.
- Level 2 - Can talk for two to four sentences, getting sweaty and bit out of breath but can continue at this pace.
- Level 3 – Can only talk for one to two sentences, can keep going but finding it tough.
- Level 4 – Can only talk for one short sentence, can only keep it going for one to two minutes.