Why is it so important to warm up before exercising? Celebrity Fitness Trainer Jane Wake explains...
- Start at a walking pace where you feel comfortable – you should be able to hold a conversation.
- Use small movements, gradually increasing your pace and stride over 4-5 minutes
- Think about your posture - shoulders down, tummy in, looking straight ahead.
- After 5 minutes, keep walking but try the following movements as you walk.
- Lift you knees up and rotate the opposite elbow to opposite knee. Alternate x 20
- Curl your legs back, bringing your heel to your bum. Alternate x 20
- Slow down a little but take bigger strides and bend at the knee and hips in a forward lunging motion Alternate x 10
- Turn sides ways and step sideways x 10 with the right leg leading then turn around and repeat leading left.
If running also try…
- Purposefully rolling through the foot, heel to toe, to increase movement in your ankle joint x 10
- Running backwards – watch where you are going though! X 10 steps
- Galloping sideways on your right and left sides x 10 each side