Friend and fellow presenter Christopher Biggins, who starred alongside Cilla Black in Surprise! Surprise!, described the entertainer as a "national treasure".
He said that news of her death in Spain was "really devastating".
The Foreign Office is aware of reports that a British national, believed to be iconic TV personality Cilla Black, has died in Spain.
A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: "We are aware of reports of the death of a British national in Spain."
Hollywood actor Russell Crowe has paid tribute to Cilla Black who has died aged 72, according to reports.
In a messsage posted to Twitter, he said: "Thanks for everything Cilla. A loving life loved in the living of it".
Stars have been taking to Twitter to pay tribute to singer and legendary TV presenter Cilla Black, who has reportedly died in Spain, aged 72.
Actress Joan Collins said she was "sad and shocked by the news", adding that Black was a "resplendent and rare talent".
TV host Piers Morgan, who interviewed Black on ITV Life Stories, said she was a "great star" who has now been reunited with "her Bobby".
New debris initially believed to be from the missing MH370 plane which was found on the French island of Reunion belongs to a "domestic ladder" and is not an aircraft part, according to a Malaysian official.
The ITV Loose Women team have paid tribute to TV favourite Cilla Black who has reportedly died in Spain aged 72.
Cilla Black was one of TV's best-loved presenters fronting Blind Date and Surprise Surprise in the 1980s and 90s.
Here are ten facts about the woman who gave us a "lorra, lorra laughs" during her long career.
- 1. Cilla was actually born Priscilla Maria Veronica White in Liverpool on 27 May 1943.
- 2. Her stage name was "Swinging Cilla".
- 3. Many of her first performances were at Liverpool's Cavern Club, which she blamed for her hearing loss.
- 4. She often sang with The Beatles and in 1963 was the first female artists to be signed by their manager Brian Epstein.
- 5. Her first number 1 was Anyone Who Had A Heart, which stayed at the top spot for 3 weeks in February 1963.
- 6.The song went on to sell over 1 million copies worldwide as did her second UK number 1, You're My World.
- 7. Cilla never managed to break the US but Elvis Presley had a copy of You're My World on his Graceland jukebox.
- 8. She was married to her manager Bobby Willis for more than 30 years until he died of lung cancer in October 1999.
- 9. The couple had three sons together; Robert, Ben and Jack. They also had a daughter, Ellen, in 1975 but sadly she only lived for 2 hours.
- 10. Last year Cilla was awarded a BAFTA 'Special Award' for her contribution to entertainment in a career which has lasted over 50 years.
Tributes have been paid to Cilla Black who has reportedly died in Spain, aged 72.
TV presenter Holly Willoughby, who took over from Black as host of ITV's Surprise Surprise, paid tribute to "an incredible lady" on Twitter.