A radical overhaul and an extra £8 billion in funding is needed for the NHS to prevent a funding gap causing severe effects for patients, the head of the health service has said.
The uncle of the Canadian army reservist Corporal Nathan Cirillo has spoken to Canadian media about his shock at his nephew's death at the War Memorial in Ottawa yesterday.
In an emotional interview with CBC, Jim Cirillo said:
Ottawa Police Chief Charles Bordeleau has said that his force is "satisfied" that there was only one gunman in yesterday's violence on Parliament Hill.
Speaking to Canadian Broadcaster CBC, Chief Bordeleau said: "We’re satisfied at this point one individual was responsible for shooting yesterday on the Hill"
Alvin Stardust, who has died aged 72, had a rich and varied career in both music and, latterly, acting and musical theatre.
- Born Bernard Jewry in 1942 in east London
- Got his first guitar aged 12
- Signed his first record deal in 1961 as frontman of Shane Fenton and the Fentones
- Signed to Magnet Records in 1973, this time under the name Alvin Stardust.
- Scored hits well into the 1980s including Pretend, I Feel Like Buddy Holly and My Coo Ca Choo
- turned to acting in the 1990s, appearing in shows such as Hollyoaks, the Grimlys and Doctors
- also appeared in several musicals, including Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Boogie Nights
Police and security services are reviewing the security in place around Parliament and other key London institutions after a soldier was shot dead in the Canadian capital Ottawa.
Prime Minister David Cameron has said that meetings were being held to make sure that security and intelligence services have "all the angles covered".
Speaking to the BBC's Asian Network, he said:
Alvin Stardust still had "a great deal to give", his manager has said.
The singer was on the verge of releasing a new album, entitled 'Alvin', at the start of November.
Mr Davies said although he did not know him very long, Stardust was "one of the most genuine and likeable men I've ever met".
Today's five-year plan for the NHS calls for an expanded role for volunteers in providing healthcare. Its recommendations include:
- Better support for England's 5.5 million unpaid carers
- Expanding opportunities for volunteers to work alongside NHS staff
- Testing idea of tax breaks for NHS volunteers
- Building stronger ties with charities and voluntary organisations
- Making local NHS funding simpler and more accessible to charitable groups