News

Live updates

Man shot dead in Sheffield city centre

Credit: Joe Giddens/PA Wire

A man has been shot dead and another injured as they sat in a car in Sheffield city centre.

The men, both 22, were shot in Derek Dooley Way, Sheffield, at around 10.15pm on Sunday, South Yorkshire Police said.

They were taken to hospital but the driver of the vehicle was pronounced dead. The passenger remains in hospital in a stable condition, police said.

Both men are from the Sheffield area. No one has been arrested, police said.

Security measures stepped up in France after man drives into crowds

Security measures for police and other authorities have been stepped up after a driver said to be shouting "God is great" slammed into crowds in a French city, injuring at least 11 people and raising national concern as Islamic extremists call for attacks.

The government said the man's motives were unclear but last night's incident in Dijon, in eastern France, came a day after a knife attack on police in another town being investigated by anti-terror officers.

Officials say a 40-year-old man had been arrested over last night's attack.

Advertisement

'Make your mind up time ' for Northern Ireland politicians

Credit: Niall Carson/PA Archive

Northern Ireland's leaders face a "deal or no deal" ultimatum as they enter what the Government has warned is the final day of negotiations on outstanding disputes threatening the future of devolved government.

Talks to find consensus end today, with or without agreement, Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers warned last night.

Discussions between Ms Villiers, the Irish Government and the five Executive parties at Stormont resume at Stormont House this morning.

"It's 'make your mind up' time for Northern Ireland's political leaders," the Secretary of State said last night.

"These talks finish tomorrow, even if it takes all night. It there's no agreement tomorrow, there isn't going to be one, and the process ends in failure."

The Government is set to respond later to their request for £2 billion-plus of extra funding and loan access over the next decade.

The plan essentially addresses long-standing nationalist concerns over introducing the Government's welfare policies in Northern Ireland by establishing a significant "cushion" fund, drawn from the Executive's budget, to support those hardest-hit by the changes to the benefits system.

North Korea warns of strikes on US over Sony hack claims

Credit: Reuters

North Korea has threatened strikes against the White House and the United States mainland, calling the country a "cesspool of terrorism" and accusing Barack Obama of spreading "reckless" rumours about its involvement in a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures.

Such rhetoric is not unusual from Pyongyang's massive propaganda machine during times of tension with Washington.

But the long statement from the powerful National Defence Commission also underscores Pyongyang's sensitivity at a movie whose plot focuses on the assassination of its leader Kim Jong Un, the beneficiary of a decades-long cult of personality built around his family dynasty.

"Our toughest counter-action will be boldly taken against the White House, the Pentagon and the whole US mainland, the cesspool of terrorism, by far surpassing the 'symmetric counter-action' declared by Obama," said the commission's policy department, in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.

The US blames North Korea for the cyber-attack that escalated to threats of terror strikes against American cinemas and caused Sony to cancel The Interview's release.

China condemns 'all forms of cyber terrorism'

China has said it opposes all forms of cyber attacks and "cyber terrorism" in the wake of the massive Sony Pictures security breach.

Beijing's Foreign Minister Wang Yi made the denouncement to US Secretary of State John Kerry via a phone call, Reuters have reported.

"China opposes any country or person using other nations' internal facilities to conduct cyber attacks on third-party countries." Wang Yi reportedly told Kerry.

Last week, the US concluded that North Korea, one of China's global allies, was responsible for the attack on Sony Pictures.

Advertisement

New detective takes over Madeleine McCann case

Credit: Andrew Milligan/PA Archive

A new detective has taken over the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Detective Chief Inspector Nicola Wall has replaced Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, who is retiring.

Mr Redwood has led Operation Grange since it was launched in 2011, while Ms Wall was with the homicide and major crime command, the Metropolitan Police said.

Street light switch off leaves 'significant' areas in darkness

Three-quarters of English councils are switching off or dimming some street lights at night, a survey has revealed, leading to claims that significant areas have been "plunged into darkness" since the Government took office.

Labour claimed the squeeze on budgets coupled with high electricity prices were leading councils to turn off or dim almost a quarter of all lights, compared with under 3% in May 2010.

A total of 1.36 million lights are either off or dimmed at night, compared with 148,000 in May 2010, out of a total of 5.7 million in the areas surveyed.

Labour obtained information from 141 of 150 councils responsible for street lights, with just 35 saying they were neither switching off nor dimming lights.

The figures showed 106 are either dimming or switching off lights, with 42 doing both.

Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists