Two brothers have been jailed at the Old Bailey after admitting to conspiring to attend a terror training camp in Syria.
Business Secretary Vince Cable has criticised Royal Mail bosses for “scaremongering” by indicating universal service may be under threat.
He said he felt it was "wrong" of chief executive Moya Greene to suggest it is.
He said a lot of people “depend” on the Royal Mail and the regular delivery it provides, particularly in remote areas, and he said they should not be made to feel insecure.
Jailed brothers Mohommod and Hamza Nawaz admitted attending a Syria terrorist training camp in August 2013.
The pair were caught by police at Dover as they tried to return home a few weeks later on a ferry from Calais in France.
Older sibling Mohommod, who was on licence at the time, brought home AK-47 ammunition as a "trophy".
Sentencing the brothers at the Old Bailey, judge Christopher Moss QC told them:
Two brothers have been jailed after admitting to conspiring to attend a terror training camp in Syria in 2013.
Mohommod Nawaz, 30, was jailed for four-and-a-half years and his younger brother Hamza Nawaz, 24, was given three years at the Old Bailey.
The brothers, from Stratford, east London, are the first Britons to be jailed for terrorist training in Syria.
The privatisation of Royal Mail has gone “admirably” but the biggest competition to business was always going to be the ever-growing popularity of email, Vince Cable has said.
The Business Secretary told ITV News that the major objective of privatisation had been to allow Royal Mail to go out and compete and raise money on the open market for investment, which it had – raising £500 million to date.
But, he said, they were always going to have to compete with e-mail, which was replacing much of its traditional custom, on top of having to compete with other mail carriers.
Many customers with faulty pre-payment gas meters have been overcharged for years, ITV News understands.
ITV News' Consumer Editor Chris Choi said some of the meters which have been found to be faulty had been in homes since 2007:
Two British tourists have died in Amsterdam after snorting what is believed to have been white heroin that was sold to them as cocaine.
The men, aged 20 and 21, were found in a hotel room in the city yesterday.
The Foreign Office is liaising with Dutch authorities and is "providing consular assistance to the family", a spokesman said.