A new poll shows Prince Charles is now the nation’s first choice to be the King, with the country also ready to accept Queen Camilla.
The poll is the first since 2005 where Charles has seen a clear lead as first choice to be the next King. It shows:
- 51% believe he should take up his right to the throne
- 40% said William should be next
- Nearly every age group wanted Charles to be King
- Strongest support was among 45 to 54-year-olds
- The youngest group surveyed of 14 to 24-year-olds prefer William
Ipsos MORI/Sun On Sunday
The Sun's Royal Editor Duncan Larcombe told ITV News how Prince Charles has gone from being a PR disaster to a 'trendy, on-message global environmentalist'.
Speaking to the Sun on Sunday Conservative MP Mary MacLeod, a former policy adviser to the Queen, added that the Duchess of Cornwall has "worked really hard" since marrying Prince Charles in 2005.