At the Olympic Park hopes of British success are high. But you don't have to think back too far to remember it wasn't always like this.
- Sixteen years ago in Atlanta, Great Britain finished 36th in the medals table, its worst ever performance, winning just one gold.
- There was a marked improvement at Sydney, where they finished tenth.
- They also finished 10th at the Athens Games.
- Four years ago in Beijing the team exceeded expectations, with 19 golds and 47 medals in total - their biggest haul for 100 years
- This year they hope to be even better - more golds, a minimum target of 48 medals and maybe third place behind China and the USA
Mark Austin has covered six Olympic Games, and one thing is for sure: never has a British team been so well prepared.