Congressman Paul Ryan has been chosen to be Mitt Romney's Republican running mate.
Here are ten facts you may not know about the young, cerebral politician from Wisconsin who may be America's next vice-president:
- 1. Paul Ryan became a Congressman aged just 28.
- 2. When he was 16, he discovered his father's body at home; Paul Ryan Senior had died of a heart attack.
- 3. Ryan used to earn money as a waiter in a Mexican restaurant and as a fitness trainer.
- 4. He often listens to his iPod on Capitol Hill to avoid reporters' questions, favouring Rage Against the Machine, Led Zeppelin and Beethoven.
- 5. His hobbies include hunting (often with a bow) and catching catfish with his barehands.
- 6. He is seen as the intellectual leader of the Republicans in the House of Representatives.
- 7. He is from Wisconsin and often works from an old truck so he can visit rural areas of his Congressional district;
- 8. Ryan is such a workaholic, he often sleeps in his Congressional office to save time;
- 9. Democrats love his selection as the Republican VP. They can attack his radical budget plans.
- 10. Paul Ryan proposed to his wife while fly-fishing. They have three children - and you will see plenty of them on the campaign trail.