Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Doctors find a plastic fork in patient's stomach after a decade

A plastic fork similar to this one was found in Lee Gardner's stomach Photo:

Doctors operating on a patient who was rushed to hospital with stomach pains discovered a plastic fork in his belly.

Lee Gardner, who was vomiting blood and had stomach cramps, told surgeons at Barnsley Hospital, South Yorkshire, he had accidentally swallowed the nine-inch fork a decade ago.

But Mr Gardner, 40, said he had forgotten he had eaten it as doctors at the time assured him it would pass through his system naturally.

He told the Barnsley Chronicle:

When they were looking inside me with the camera, the doctor said 'Are you sure you've not swallowed anything?

I said no but when he said 'Are you sure? I can see prongs of what appears to be a fork', I remembered accidentally swallowing one years and years ago.

– Lee Gardner

The prongs had pressed on the stomach lining causing an ulcer that led to the bleeding.

Consultant general surgeon Hanis Shiwani said it would have been too dangerous to try to remove the object without surgery and carried out a 45-minute operation to cut open Mr Gardner's stomach.

Mr Gardner, who was discharged from hospital this week, is expected to make a full recovery.