1. ITV Report

Greater Manchester Police chief expects 'developments' in killed police officers case

Fiona Bone, 32, and Nicola Hughes (right), 23, who were killed on Tuesday. Photo: Greater Manchester Police

Greater Manchester Chief Constable Sir Peter Fahy laid flowers at the scene where two police officers were killed and said he anticipated "developments" in the next 24 hours over possible charges relating to their deaths.

PC Nicola Hughes, 23, and PC Fiona Bone, 32, were killed in a gun and grenade in Hattersley, Greater Manchester, on Tuesday morning.

Sir Peter Fahy lays flowers at the scene where two officers were killed. Credit: ITV News

One of the country's most wanted men, Dale Cregan, 29, handed himself in to the police shortly after the attack.

A warrant of further detention was obtained last night for Cregan which will expire at 9am tomorrow.

The second man arrested in connection with the killings of two police officers was named tonight as 28-year-old Stephen Garvey.

Garvey was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.

Sir Peter also paid tribute to the constables, calling them "two wonderful human beings, two very dedicated officers".

PC Nicola Hughes as a bridesmaid at the wedding of her father and step-mother. Credit: Facebook

He said the families of the victims were "overwhelmed" by the "massive show of public support" in the wake of their deaths.

A 28-year-old man, who was arrested yesterday in Hattersley on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder, also remains in police custody.

PC Fiona Bone pictured at her graduation ceremony

Earlier, Assistant chief constable Garry Shewan said the criminal feud which preceded the two murders had "to end" and that "enough is enough".

He added that the killings of Miss Hughes and Miss Bone, were a "watershed moment".

PC Fiona Bone with her partner Clare Curran

I think what we've seen on Tuesday has had to appeal to everyone in terms of a watershed moment.

I would say the strong message that Greater Manchester Police has been using over the last six weeks, and perhaps even further back, is, 'Enough is enough. This has to end'.

That's why we've been working with individuals with threats to life notices as part of our investigation.

That's why we've had such an intensive policing operation in place.

And that's why Tuesday's events have hit us so hard.

– Assistant chief constable Garry Shewan, Greater Manchester Police
PC Nicola Hughes with her friend Naomi Walker

ITV News' Midlands Correspondent, Rupert Evelyn reports from Hattersley.

Mr Shewan also confirmed that a 22-year-old man from Mersey had been arrested over an offensive Facebook page created after the PCs deaths.

Earlier, the country's top prosecutor, Keir Starmer QC, said "the time has come for an informed debate about the boundaries of free speech in an age of social media".

Dale Cregan Credit: Greater Manchester Police

Police have been given more time to question 29-year-old Dale Cregan on suspicion of the murders of PC Fiona Bone and PC Nicola Hughes.

A warrant of further detention was obtained on Wednesday night and is due to expire at 9am on Friday morning.

A 28-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder yesterday also remains in police custody