George Michael has pulled out of his November tour of Australia as he says he is suffering from lingering anxiety from his recent health scare. In a statement released on his website, he said the decision "breaks his heart" but promised to return as soon as his health permits.
The 49-year-old singer cancelled a concert in Vienna last year due to what was initially reported as a "chest infection" which then developed into pneumonia. The singer apologised to his fans:
He went on to say he did not take the advice of his doctors and instead of taking time to recover from the trauma and attending counselling he plunged himself into making new music.
He was due to open the Perth Arena on November 10, but will now be replaced by Elton John, who told the Western Australian he was "more than happy to step in."