At around about midday today, UK time, an internet milestone was crossed. It has social, cultural and financial implications. Mark Zuckerberg has just announced that Facebook has one billion users.
We have been waiting a long time for this. There had been speculation it would be announced at the time of the initial offering of shares, but wasn't. I suspect that the delay was caused by controversy about how you count the users.
Some people have more than one account - even dozens. Companies have multiple-identities. In short, it is a nightmare to audit how many humans (rather than profiles) are on Facebook.
Still, let us leave them a while to celebrate. Whatever else you may think about Facebook it has been an almost unbelievable success story - from geek student to global superstar. Grab your mouse and be inspired... I have got some insider facts and figures from Facebook:
Since its launch, Facebook says it has seen:
- 1.13 trillion 'Likes'
- 140.3 billion friend connections
- 219 billion photos shared
- 17 billion check-ins
- 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times thats about 210,000 years of music
- 2.45 billion content items and 2.7 billion Likes are shared every day on Facebook
- More than 300 million photos uploaded daily
Today is Facebook's day... Come to think of it every day is Facebook day!!