A Westminster tradition has seen the big dogs of politics lose out to an underdog as MPs' family pets competed for the Westminster Dog of the Year competition.
Despite an illustrious list of entries from poodles to rottweilers and dachshunds, there could only be one winner and this year that honour was won by Star, a Norfolk terrier owned by the Conservative MP for Dover and Deal, Charlie Elphicke.
Entered for fun - amazed we won Westminster Dog of the Year is Star!
Lots of entrants for the Westminster dog show today http://t.co/Rd3v9VGi
The competition, which raises money for the Dogs Trust, is now in its twentieth year.
Past winners of the coveted prized have included:
- Helen Grant MP Charile 2010
- Andrew Mitchell Molly 2009
- Lord Williams of Mostyn Bippy 2002
- Lord Lucas Puffin 2001
Charlie Elphicke was a worthy winner of dog of the year. Not Lola's year this year.
The full list of this year's hopefuls:
- David Amess MP & Lily and Beau
- Gregory Barker MP & Otto
- Angie Bray MP & Poppy
- Lyn Brown MP & Cara
- Jake Berry MP and Lola
- Gordon Birtwistle MP & Biggles
- Steve Brine MP & Popcorn
- David Burrowes MP & Cholmeley
- Therese Coffey MP & Rizzo
- Jon Cruddas MP & Joni
- Charlie Elphicke MP & Star
- Lindsay Hoyle MP and Gordon
- Martin Horwood MP & Pat
- Edward Leigh MP & William
- Penny Mordaunt MP & Penny Lane
- Tessa Munt MP and Bella
- Matthew Offord MP & Maximus
- Claire Perry MP & Zinzan
- Simon Reevell MP & George
- Laurence Robertson MP and Sausage
- Alec Shelbrooke MP & Boris
- Andrew Turner MP & Buster
- Charles Walker MP & Ambrose
At the Westminster Dog of the Year Finals with George!!! http://t.co/wOy0sVdw
Although the contest was not a walk in the park for everyone with one MP naming and shaming one mis-behaving pooch (and its owner):
Well the big event at the Westminster Dog Show was @hendonmp 's dog peeing on my partner Nigel's trousers!