To best track a result on election night, you may need to brush up on your US state two-letter abbreviations (full list below).
But the important point on timing is this: Virginia (VA) finishes voting at midnight UK time.
And if Mitt Romney loses that, he's almost certainly finished (even winning Ohio wouldn't save him in all probability). So Virginia is the first battleground to keep an eye on tonight.
But even if we know quite early that Barack Obama is heading for a second term, there will be no excuse not to watch the ITV News Election 2012 programme all night.
Here are all the final poll closing times (in UK time):
- Midnight: Georgia (GA), Indiana (IN), Kentucky (KY), South Carolina (SC), Vermont (VT), Virginia (VA)
- 12:30 am: North Carolina (NC), Ohio (OH), West Virginia (WV)
- 1:00 am: Alabama (AL), Connecticut (CT), Delaware (DE), District of Columbia (DC), Florida (FL), Illinois (IL), Maine (ME), Maryland (MD), Massachusetts (MA), Mississippi (MS), Missouri (MO), New Hampshire (NH), New Jersey (NJ), Oklahoma (OK), Pennsylvania (PA), Rhode Island (RI), Tennessee (TN)
- 1:30 am: Arkansas (AR)
- 2:00 am: Arizona (AZ), Colorado (CO), Kansas (KS), Louisiana (LA), Michigan (MI), Minnesota (MN), Nebraska (NE), New Mexico (NM), New York (NY), North Dakota (ND), South Dakota (SD), Texas (TX), Wisconsin (WI), Wyoming (WY)
- 3:00 am: Iowa (IA), Montana (MT), Nevada (NV), Utah (UT)
- 4:00 am: California (CA), Hawaii (HI), Idaho (ID), Oregon (OR), Washington (WA)
- 6:00 am: Alaska (AK)