One Direction and Coldplay are among a number of British acts vying for awards at tonight's MTV Europe Music Awards in Frankfurt.
The boy band will be competing against Rita Ora in the Best New Act category, meanwhile Coldplay are up for Best Rock Act.
US group fun., Lana Del Rey and Carly Rae Jepson are also nominated in the Best New Act category, although Andrew Dost from fun. has predicted success for One Direction.
He said: "I think we're going to lose, they are going to crush us".
Whitney Houston will be remembered at this year's concert with the tragic star being named a global icon.
Among the acts appearing at the concert are Alicia Keys, The Killers and K-Pop sensation Psy.
The show's executive producer Bruce Gillmer said the Global Icon award was for "an act that made a tremendous impact on the world".
He said he was delighted it was going to Houston who had said had possessed "one of the world's greatest voices".
The event, hosted by supermodel Heidi Klum, will also see appearances by Kim Kardashian, David Hasselhoff and the cast of hit show Geordie Shore.
One Direction are also nominated for the Biggest Fans prize.
Other British acts nominated at the prestigious showbiz bash include Muse who are nominated for Best Live Act and Best Rock Act, and Arctic Monkeys who are up for Best Alternative Act along with Florence + The Machine.
The nominations for Best Song include Carly Rae Jepson for Call Me Maybe and Rihanna featuring Calvin Harris for We Found Love.
The MTV Europe Music Awards in numbers:
- 10,000 - the length in kilometres of cables needed to put on the show
- 1,200 - flight case boxes used to transport equipment
- 18 - HD cameras filming the show from every angle
- 1,500 - fans who turned up to an event in Frankfurt last week in a bid to win tickets
- 380 - sets of false eyelashes will be worn
- 300 - organic chocolate bars served in the dressing rooms
- 38,000 - meals cooked for performers and crew in the week running up to the show
- 20,000 - bottles of beer that will be served
Coverage of the event starts at 8pm GMT on MTV.