Twitter has released its top 10 most tweeted about events by users in Britain in 2012.
The figures are based on the number of UK tweets sent in a single second.
- 1. Olympics (Sunday, August 12): David Cameron, Samantha Cameron and Boris Johnson dancing together at the Olympic closing ceremony
- 2. Euro 2012 (Sunday, June 24): England vs Italy, England lose on penalties
- 3. X Factor (Sunday, November 18): James Arthur and Ella Henderson in bottom two, Ella voted off
- 4. Olympics (Sunday August 5): Bolt wins the Mens 100 Metres Olympic final
- 5. Olympics (Friday, July 27): Mr Bean's 'Chariots of Fire' sketch in the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics
- 6. X Factor (Sunday, November 4): Rylan and Kye go to deadlock
- 7. Euro 2012: England vs Sweden, Theo Walcott's goal to bring England level at 2-2
- 8. X Factor (Sunday October 7): Gary Barlow storms off X Factor as Carolynne Poole was voted off in favour of Rylan
- 9. Euro 2012 (Monday June 11): England vs France, Joleon Lescott's goal put England up 1-0
- 10. Champions League (Tuesday September 18): Man City vs Real Madrid, Cristiano's Ronaldos goal put Real 3-2 ahead, ultimately resulting in a victory
A number of high profile British names joined Twitter in 2012. Among them was David Cameron who signed up at the Conservative Party conference in October. He became one of the 48 new MPs on the platform this year.
World in Tweets
There were also hugely influential moments from around the world. Barack Obama's 'Four more years' Tweet which he sent to declare victory in the US Presidential Election, was the most retweeted message ever.