More than 10,000 people needed to visit a hospital on Christmas Day last year for conditions including food poisoning, indigestion and getting a Christmas cracker toy stuck in their ear, a report found.
A total of 10,379 were admitted on December 25 last year, with 73,550 people waking up in hospital as part of ongoing care, according to the study. Last year one person was admitted with a toy from a Christmas cracker stuck in their ear, nine people were admitted with severe indigestion and six with food poisoning.
The data was taken from NHS feedback website Patient Opinion, along with healthcare information expert Dr Foster Intelligence. A further 22 people burned themselves and 77 successfully had their appendix removed. The number of births dropped by more than 20 per cent on Christmas Day compared with the rest of the year to 1,454, avoiding a lifetime of "joint presents" on future birthdays. The report attributes the drop in births to a possible number of early inductions.