1. ITV Report

Police enforce clampdown in New Delhi after protests

Indian Prime Minster Manmohan Singh appealed for calm following protests against the gang rape of a 23-year-old girl in New Delhi over the weekend.

Police have now enforced a complete clampdown throughout the capital New Delhi.

Demonstrators run and throw stones towards the police during a protest in front of India Gate in New Delhi Credit: Reuters

Prime Minister Singh urged calm and vowed to protect women as police struggled to quell outrage following the gang-rape of a student.

"There is genuine and justified anger and anguish at this ghastly incident," Singh said in a televised speech as he appealed for "peace and calm".

"We are constantly monitoring her medical condition. Let us all pray for her and her loved ones during this critical time", Singh added.

Policeman uses a baton to disperse a demonstrator during a protest in front of India Gate in New Delhi Credit: Reuters

The Indian Capital New Delhi has turned into fortress, and the location of the meeting of visiting Russian President Vladimir Putin and Indian Prime Minister has been moved to the Prime Ministers residence.

Usually, such meetings are held in Hyderabad House, which is close to India Gate, the scene of protests in the last two days.

The entire central square of India Gate circle and Raisina Hill has been cordoned off and a heavy police presence is being kept on all roads leading to India Gate and other areas of central Delhi to keep away the protesters.

Even the media have also been asked to clear of the area to stop continuous coverage of the protest.

Earlier in the morning a number of protesters, who stayed put at India Gate, were eventually moved. The young demonstrators, who spent a chilly night in the open after they fought pitched battle with police throughout the Sunday, were taken to a bus by police.

The Indian Government also announced they would set up a special committee made up of former judges to look into possible amendments to the criminal law to deliver faster trials and stronger punishments for criminals.

In the meantime, the victim of the attack has been put back on a ventilator as she fights for life at the Safdarjung Hospital. Her condition remains critical, though she is conscious and communicating.