The allegations began with the ITV documentary Exposure. Here are some of the key points as the case unfolded.
September 30, 2012
It emerges allegations about Savile will be made in a the ITV documentary 'Exposure', due to be aired on October 3 2012.
October 1, 2012
Police in Surrey confirm Jimmy Savile was interviewed in 2007 over allegations dating back to the 1970s. He was released without charge. A day later it is also revealed that Jersey and Surrey police both investigated accusations about alleged abuse in two children's homes, but decided there was not enough evidence to proceed.
October 2, 2012
The BBC says it will make direct contact with police to provide full support over the "disturbing allegations". Newsnight editor Peter Rippon says the show dropped a story about allegations against Savile because it "had not established any institutional failure" on behalf of the police or Crown Prosecution Service.
October 3, 2012
Exposure: The Other Side Of Jimmy Savile is shown on ITV1 at 11.10pm. In it, a total of five women claim they were indecently assaulted by him when they were schoolgirls in the late 1960s and 1970s.
October 9, 2012
Scotland Yard reveals they are looking at 120 lines of inquiry and as many as 25 victims. Commander Peter Spindler says allegations span four decades and abuse was on a "national scale".
October 11, 2012
Allegations emerge that Savile abused children at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Buckinghamshire and Leeds General Hospital.
October 12, 2012
BBC Director General George Entwistle announces two inquiries - one into potential failings over the handling of the abandoned Newsnight investigation, and a second into the "culture and practices of the BBC during the years Savile worked here".
October 19, 2012
A leaked internal email casts doubt on the BBC's stated reason for cancelling a Newsnight investigation into sexual abuse by Savile. Three days later the BBC announces that Editor Peter Rippon has stepped aside.
October 25, 2012
Scotland Yard says it is investigating in excess of 400 lines of inquiry involving 300 victims, of whom all except two are women.
November 27, 2012
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe reveals Operation Yewtree, the police investigation into the Savile abuse scandal, has cost around £2 million so far.
December 12, 2012
Scotland Yard say 31 rape allegations have been made against Savile - out of a total of 450 complaints. The force say 589 people have come forward with information relating to the scandal.